JML Contracts can offer a full design, supply and installation package throughout Scotland for Gabion works.
We also carry a large stock of BBA approved Gabions and various Geotextiles and Geogrids, for supply only.
As specialist installers of gabion basket retaining systems and other solutions, such as timber crib, segmental block walls and reinforced earth retaining walls; we have been involved in many different gabion basket works for land reinforcement, soil retention, sea, river and waterways protection, erosion control, and road and railway constructions.
We have worked on large gabion projects up to 3000m3 but also specialise in small, awkward gabion basket works such as restricted access, rear gardens, river erosion gabion mattress work and manual filling operations. We also have experience in free-standing gabion walling and architectural gabion cladding works and gabion rain screen cladding works.
As well as acting as a main contractor, we also carry out subcontract gabion basket work for Maccaferri and other clients such as RAF Leuchars, I & H Brown Ltd, Morrisons Construction, Mansell, Balfour Beatty, The Phi Group, Land Engineering and Perth & Kinross Council.
We are one of the only companies in Scotland who are able to design, supply and install gabion basket retaining walls. As a consequence, we carry out gabion contracts all over Scotland and have gabion installation teams based in Central and Northern Scotland.
Gabions have a wide range of uses; we have listed the most common ones below for your information. Please feel free to contact us for any further information or questions you might have regarding any of these uses.
- Mass-gravity walls
- Reinforced soil walls
- Garden terrace walls
- Ha-Ha walls
- River canal lining
- River training structures, eg Groynes
- Gabion weir or dam structures
- Roadway culvert in or outlet structures
- Low-level or Irish crossings
- Longitudinal river structures
- Bio filters, reed beds
- River diversion structures
- Architectural applications such as cladding, etc
- Bridge abutments and protection
- Scour protection
- Coastal erosion protection
JML Contracts Gabion Services
Technical Help – We have the technical knowledge and expertise to make your design or structure erection task as easy and seamless as possible.
Site Assistance – We can visit your site to give advice on the best size baskets and methods to use to undertake the installation. And we’ll provide design assistance for your erosion or retention problems.
Price Estimates – We can provide a costing to carry out the complete works including the supply of all materials, or if preferred, we can provide a labour and plant costing for the erection of the gabion structure.
Gabion Baskets & Mattresses
Gabions are used in many situations including the stabilisation of earth movement and erosion, river control, reservoirs, canal refurbishment, landscaping and retaining walls. They can be manufactured in welded mesh or woven wire.
Their substantial physical mass and flexible composition means that gabion walls can accommodate severe differential settlement. Their un-bound stone infill also prevents the build-up of damaging hydrostatic pressures behind the wall and, because of these qualities, engineers throughout the world have made gabions their retaining wall solution of choice.
The gabion wire diameter can range from 2mm to 8mm and the gabion basket can either be welded or woven, galvanised or plastic coated, depending on application.
Baskets normally come in flat pack form and are assembled on site. They can be used in a range of applications from small domestic projects to large industrial schemes.
The infill to the baskets is usually locally sourced stone ranging from 200mm–100mm. Hand facing ensures that the wall has a very good cosmetic appearance.
Advantages of Gabions
- Environmentally acceptable – the use of local rock and soils for backfill is encouraged, with the subsequent growth of vegetative cover
- Flexible – gabions are able to settle and move without failure, even on unstable soils
- Economical – suitable stone is normally found on site or from a nearby quarry
- The gabion basket has a high compressive resistance (rock) and tensile (mesh) strength
- The gabion baskets allow the free passage of water through the structure, and weep holes are unnecessary
- Vegetation can be incorporated within or over the gabion structures to blend in with the local environment
- The integrity of a local ecosystem within a river is unaffected by gabions as they allow the free flow of water and growth of plants through their structure
- With time the integrity and strength of gabion river protection is enhanced with the subsequent growth of plants and their root systems penetrating the porous gabion structure
More recently, architects and landscape designers have come to recognise the visual qualities of stone-filled gabions and as a consequence, the use of gabions as decorative cladding and landscape screening is increasing.
This type of gabion facing provides a fresh modern feel but with a colour and visual texture that can sit very well with existing surrounding architecture.
Despite more than 100 years of familiarity with the gabion, it is encouraging to see that new and highly original uses are still being found for this simple, functional, ecologically sound and visually appealing product.
For further information regarding using gabions as a cladding system please contact us directly.